Can kids like healthy foods for Thanksgiving? Click these links to hear a 2-minute answer with a special song, from Ashley 5th graders Melody, Ronald, Ruth, Edgar, Anna, Omar, Thomas:. Here are their healthy ideas. Ashley student reporters learned their friends’ favorite vegetable . . . and what they DON’T like . . . The 5th grades say that making healthy foods fun will help more kids enjoy them.
RECIPE: Pilgrim Sandwich
Good Eating for Pilgrims and YOUR Family
- 12 slices 100% whole wheat bread
- 8 oz. Colby cheese
- 24 slices turkey lunch meat
- 15 oz. can whole cranberry sauce
- 1 – 2 lbs. bagged romaine lettuce
- 2 – 15 oz. cans green beans
- Open cans of cranberry sauce and green beans. Drain green beans.
- Divide cranberry sauce evenly into 4 serving containers. Add plastic forks to containers.
- Divide green beans evenly into 4 serving containers. Add plastic forks to containers. The green beans are a side vegetable to be eaten with the sandwich.
- Divide bread evenly for the four groups and put on the large paper plates. Each person eating should get one piece.
- Divide the turkey evenly and put in 4 serving containers. Add plastic forks to containers.
- Cut the cheese slices so each person eating gets a piece and divide evenly into 4 serving containers.
- Break up the lettuce and divide evenly into 4 bowls.
- Have sandwich ingredients and paper plates, plastic forks, and napkins ready to pass out to each group for serving and eating the sandwiches and green beans.